Monday, April 2, 2007

Auction unpleasantness- part 1

It has been very interesting for me to see the less pleasant side of web auctions. I have run into a few bad experiences, and a fee auction problems.

Item not shipped/ payment never received/ non-paying bidder- I had a $66 order for paper money from Australia. The bidder charged me with not shipping the items. I agreed that I had not shipped the items, and said that was because the money order that he had sent had never been received. He kept asking me to cancel the sale, which I refused- he had these pieces on hold for almost a month. At this point I sent a non-payment email. I was accused of cashing the money order. I said I did not receive it, I did not cash it, did you know that you can get a refund for your uncashed money order, and could I have some information about the money order. The bidder then said that it would take months to get a refund of the money order. I contacted his post office, and they told me that money orders could be refunded within a month. I then contacted the bidder, asking for details about the money order. The bidder refused to give me any information (like a registered letter, money orders have serial numbers, and that number can be traced, and whether the money order has been issued or cashed is easily available). He then gave me my first negative feedback. I decided to let the negative feedback stand, but with the reasons for it published with the feedback. The buyer has gone private with his 1047 positive feedbacks, and a few negative feedbacks, and now some unpaid item strikes. I will keep my lumps, but if he lists his feedback again, it will show a warning to others.

This was the biggest auction problem.

No comments: